- 26 Dec 2017Country:Body:Following the first female president of Africa, Liberia will now have the first president who has been an international football star. George Weah won the country’s presidential election run-off on 26 December 2017 with 61.5% of the vote beating his rival, the outgoing Vice-President Joseph Boakai, who got 38.5% of the vote.
- Country:Opinion:SWAC:Body:Laurent Bossard, director of the Sahel and West Africa Club Secretariat, talks about the region's key challenges and the issue of youth employment. The interview was conducted on the sidelines of the Sahel and West Africa Week 2017 in Cotonou, Benin.
- 17 Oct 2017Members:Body:At the initiative of the UEMOA Commission and several West African research institutes, researchers from the eight UEMOA member countries gathered from 25-28 September in Dakar. They brainstormed together on how to better integrate West African expertise into policy making. The three-day workshop covered several themes. A special focus was placed on food security and how to improve smallholder farmers’ access to seeds and inputs, how to improve intra-community agricultural trade, and how to generate jobs for the youth.
- 01 Oct 2017Country:Body:On 1 October, Nigeria celebrated its 57th Independence Day. On this occasion, President Buhari, present after his long absence this summer because of poor health, paid tribute to the country’s military in Maiduguri and commended the military’s efforts fighting Boko Haram in the country’s northeast. In his 2017 State of the Nation Address, Buhari evaluated the government’s actions over the past two years. Nigeria’s three top priorities remain security, economic recovery and the fight against corruption.
- 08 Sep 2017Country:Body:The 7th African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) was held from 4 to 8 September in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. Established in 2010, the forum brings together international and African experts on African agricultural issues to exchange ideas and design new action plans for the Green Revolution in Africa. This year’s theme was: Accelerating the path to prosperity: Growing inclusive economies and jobs through agriculture.
- 05 Sep 2017Country:Body:China announced it will loan Guinea USD 20 billion to support infrastructure development in the country over the next 20 years. In turn, the Guinean government granted several mining concessions to Chinese companies, including for the bauxite mines in northern Guinea.
- SWAC:Body:Seven West African countries — Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Mauritania, Senegal and Togo, are among the 20 most visa-open countries in Africa. Togo is the best-ranked West African country (position 3) on the 2016 Africa Visa Openness Index, produced by the African Development Bank.
- 13 Jun 2017Body:
On 12-13 June, the government of Germany organised an international conference on the topic of “G20-Africa Partnership - Investing in a Common Future.” The high-level conference gathered about 800 participants in Berlin, Germany, including presidents from Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali and Senegal. The debate focused on the three pillars of the G20-Africa Partnership: 1) to improve inclusive economic growth and employment; 2) to develop quality infrastructure, especially in the energy sector; and 3) to strengthen the framework for private finance and investment in Africa.
- 26 May 2017Topics:Body:The African Development Bank annual meetings hosted the release of the 16th edition of the African Economic Outlook. Besides the statistics and the notes on the 54 African countries, this year the report addresses the special theme -- Entrepreneurship and Industrialisation in Africa -- highlighting the high, untapped potential for African entrepreneurship.
- 27 Apr 2017Country:Body:Over 200 young people gathered at the first African Youth Agripreneurs (AYA) forum that took place in Ibadan, Nigeria from 25 to 26 April 2017. Organised by the African Development Bank (AfDB) and partners, the forum served as a platform to promote skills, creativity and innovativeness in agribusiness. It offered many opportunities for networking among young entrepreneurs and key stakeholders.