This practical guide, produced by the SWAC Secretariat, offers many insights on the legislative and financial levers for developing cross-border initiatives on resilience to climate change.
Climate & Climate change
- 30 Jul 2019SWAC:Body:
- 20 Jul 2019Topics:Body:Where do rural youth live and how do they engage with the economy? How can young rural women be empowered? How can rural youth prosper in changing agrifood systems? What makes climate change a youth issue? The IFAD Rural Development Report 2019 analyses key challenges of the rural transformation process and opportunities available to rural youth while encouraging thinking differently about investing in rural youth.
- 28 Feb 2019Topics:Body:The Beating Famine Sahel Conference, held from 26-28 February in Bamako, Mali, focused on farmer-managed natural regeneration (FMNR) and other successful land restoration initiatives in the Sahel. It is estimated that FMNR has spread to 21-million hectares in the West African Sahel, making the region a world leader of the land restoration movement. The conference participants adopted a declaration to rally support to restore 100-million hectares of degraded land within the African Forest Landscapes Restoration Initiative (AFR100).
- 14 Aug 2018Topics:Body:CILSS and the G5 Sahel held a dialogue workshop at the Agrhrymet Regional Centre in Niamey on 12-14 August. As a follow-up to the co-operation framework signed in February 2018, experts from both organisations gathered to explore opportunities to build synergy between key parts of the G5 Sahel Strategy for Security and Development and the 2020 CILSS Strategic Plan.
- Country:Body:The USAID West Africa team organised a workshop on 30 May-1 June in Accra, to brainstorm about future work priorities associated with their food security strategy. CILSS plays a key role in implementing US priorities in the food and nutrition security field in West Africa.
- Body:CILSS and its partners held the 5th session looking at the seasonal agro-hydro-climatic situation forecast in Sudano-Sahelian Africa. The overall situation is similar to previous years. The rainy season might start slightly late and last longer than usual.
- Body:Launched on 27 April in Abuja, the EUR 8 million programme will finance field projects that support agro-ecological intensification on family farms in five West African countries: Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Mali, Senegal and Togo.
- 22 Mar 2018Body:On 22 March, the 25th World Water Day promoted nature-based solutions to address the world’s water challenges. “How can we reduce floods, droughts and water pollution? By using the solutions we already find in nature” was the official theme. The importance of water is self-evident in the Sahel and West Africa region, which faces a large number of water challenges.
- 07 Feb 2018Topics:Body:CILSS leaders gathered on 7 February in Niamey for the 18th ordinary session of the Conference of Heads of State and Government. Organised back-to-back with the G5 Sahel summit, six presidents (Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, Niger and Senegal) as well the Prime Minister of Togo participated in the event. Discussions focused on how to advance reforms of the 45-year old institution and how to provide the institution with sustainable financing.
- Topics:Body:On 5 February, CILSS and the World Bank signed a new funding agreement worth USD 20 million for the Sahel Irrigation Initiative Regional Support Project (PARIIS). The project covers six Sahelian countries (Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, Niger and Senegal) and aims to improve stakeholders’ capacity to develop and manage irrigation and increase irrigated areas in the Sahel by 2024.