Climate & Climate change
- 08 Nov 2019Topics:Members:Body:The UEMOA Commission and the Swiss Agency for Development and Co-operation (SDC) signed, on 8 November 2019 in Abidjan, a new co-operation agreement worth nearly EUR 1 million to complete phase 1 of the programme for local cross-border co-operation (PCTL). In addition, UEMOA Commission President Abdallah Boureima signed a new co-operation agreement with the R20 Green Fund for Women to better integrate the climate aspect within projects conducted by local actors.
- 29 Oct 2019Topics:Body:The CILSS Regional Agrhymet Centre celebrated its 11th graduating of class of senior hydrological technicians with a ceremony on 29 October 2019. Twenty-nine senior experts completed the training, including three women. Agrhymet has trained more than 1 500 experts since its creation. It currently runs six master’s programmes and several technical degrees for under-graduate students.
- 25 Sep 2019Body:CILSS Executive Secretary Djimé Adoum was a key speaker at an ODI side event at the 74th UN General Assembly (UNGA) on 25 September 2019 in New York. He talked about building resilience in the Sahel. The session highlighted Sahelian perspectives and focused on the role communities could play in building their own resilience to climate change, as well as possible practical steps to support their actions.
- Country:Topics:Body:The theme of the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF 2019), which brought together some 2 400 key stakeholders on 3-6 September in Accra, focused on using digital information and tools to support sustainable food systems in Africa. With the facilitation of USAID, the SWAC Secretariat presented the Africapolis database and key findings from its work on urbanisation.
- 30 Aug 2019Topics:Body:More than 4 000 water experts from across the globe gathered from 25-30 August at the World Water Week in Stockholm. The annual appointment on global water issues focused this year on the theme, “Water for Society: Including All.” A third of participants were under the age of 35 giving a strong voice to the young generation. The final communiqué called upon governments, institutions and companies to start applying the water-based solutions that already exist – and include everyone in the process.
- 30 Jul 2019SWAC:Body:
This practical guide, produced by the SWAC Secretariat, offers many insights on the legislative and financial levers for developing cross-border initiatives on resilience to climate change.
- 20 Jul 2019Topics:Body:Where do rural youth live and how do they engage with the economy? How can young rural women be empowered? How can rural youth prosper in changing agrifood systems? What makes climate change a youth issue? The IFAD Rural Development Report 2019 analyses key challenges of the rural transformation process and opportunities available to rural youth while encouraging thinking differently about investing in rural youth.
- 28 Feb 2019Topics:Body:The Beating Famine Sahel Conference, held from 26-28 February in Bamako, Mali, focused on farmer-managed natural regeneration (FMNR) and other successful land restoration initiatives in the Sahel. It is estimated that FMNR has spread to 21-million hectares in the West African Sahel, making the region a world leader of the land restoration movement. The conference participants adopted a declaration to rally support to restore 100-million hectares of degraded land within the African Forest Landscapes Restoration Initiative (AFR100).
- 14 Aug 2018Topics:Body:CILSS and the G5 Sahel held a dialogue workshop at the Agrhrymet Regional Centre in Niamey on 12-14 August. As a follow-up to the co-operation framework signed in February 2018, experts from both organisations gathered to explore opportunities to build synergy between key parts of the G5 Sahel Strategy for Security and Development and the 2020 CILSS Strategic Plan.
- Country:Body:The USAID West Africa team organised a workshop on 30 May-1 June in Accra, to brainstorm about future work priorities associated with their food security strategy. CILSS plays a key role in implementing US priorities in the food and nutrition security field in West Africa.