- Country:Topics:Members:Body:Only one out of every five Senegalese people has health coverage. Enabel, the Belgian Development Agency, is helping the government of Senegal put in place a health insurance system in the departments of Koungheul (160 000 inhabitants) and Foundiougne (280 000 inhabitants). Several pilot programmes are testing a flat-rate payment system.
- Topics:Body:Six West African microfinance networks joined forces to create a new regional institute, the Financière de l’Afrique de l’Ouest. Based in Dakar, the new financing institute will start with 4.5 million clients and 800 points of sale.
- Body:Launched on 27 April in Abuja, the EUR 8 million programme will finance field projects that support agro-ecological intensification on family farms in five West African countries: Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Mali, Senegal and Togo.
- 02 Mar 2018Body:President Recep Tayyip Erdogan embarked on 26 February on a five-day Africa tour to visit four African countries - Algeria, Mauritania, Mali and Senegal - in a bid to extend Turkey’s influence on the African continent. It was president Erdogan’s first visit to Mali and Mauritania and his second African tour.
- Topics:Members:Body:On 5 February, CILSS and the World Bank signed a new funding agreement worth USD 20 million for the Sahel Irrigation Initiative Regional Support Project (PARIIS). The project covers six Sahelian countries (Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, Niger and Senegal) and aims to improve stakeholders’ capacity to develop and manage irrigation and increase irrigated areas in the Sahel by 2024.
- 01 Feb 2018Members:Body:The most recent issue of Dynaniques paysannes magazine, published by SOS Faim Belgium, analyses the rice sector in West Africa from a producers’ perspective. Authors call for more coherence between agricultural and trade policies and between national and regional policies in order to develop the regional market.
- 06 Jan 2018Members:Body:Following a request from the government of Burkina Faso, the CILSS Agrhymet Regional Centre will launch in Februrary a new training for water engineers. Improving water resource management is a key priority for the Sahel and West Africa. The application deadline is 20 January 2018.
- Country:Members:Body:Organised by UNOWAS, ECOWAS and UN WOMEN, an Open Doors Day aimed to initiate a dialogue between West African women and regional actors on the implementation of the three-year action plan of the ECOWAS Conflict Prevention Framework’s (CPCC) component on women, peace and security.
- 01 Sep 2017Body:Aïd-El-Kébir, the Muslim sacrifice feast also known as “Tabaski,” was celebrated on 1 September across West Africa, 69 days after the end of Ramadan. It is one of the most important religious days on the Muslim calendar and represents a busy and expensive time for families.
- 13 Jun 2017Body:
On 12-13 June, the government of Germany organised an international conference on the topic of “G20-Africa Partnership - Investing in a Common Future.” The high-level conference gathered about 800 participants in Berlin, Germany, including presidents from Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali and Senegal. The debate focused on the three pillars of the G20-Africa Partnership: 1) to improve inclusive economic growth and employment; 2) to develop quality infrastructure, especially in the energy sector; and 3) to strengthen the framework for private finance and investment in Africa.