- 01 Feb 2018Members:Body:The most recent issue of Dynaniques paysannes magazine, published by SOS Faim Belgium, analyses the rice sector in West Africa from a producers’ perspective. Authors call for more coherence between agricultural and trade policies and between national and regional policies in order to develop the regional market.
- 06 Jan 2018Members:Body:Following a request from the government of Burkina Faso, the CILSS Agrhymet Regional Centre will launch in Februrary a new training for water engineers. Improving water resource management is a key priority for the Sahel and West Africa. The application deadline is 20 January 2018.
- Country:Members:Body:Organised by UNOWAS, ECOWAS and UN WOMEN, an Open Doors Day aimed to initiate a dialogue between West African women and regional actors on the implementation of the three-year action plan of the ECOWAS Conflict Prevention Framework’s (CPCC) component on women, peace and security.
- 01 Sep 2017Body:Aïd-El-Kébir, the Muslim sacrifice feast also known as “Tabaski,” was celebrated on 1 September across West Africa, 69 days after the end of Ramadan. It is one of the most important religious days on the Muslim calendar and represents a busy and expensive time for families.
- 13 Jun 2017Body:
On 12-13 June, the government of Germany organised an international conference on the topic of “G20-Africa Partnership - Investing in a Common Future.” The high-level conference gathered about 800 participants in Berlin, Germany, including presidents from Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali and Senegal. The debate focused on the three pillars of the G20-Africa Partnership: 1) to improve inclusive economic growth and employment; 2) to develop quality infrastructure, especially in the energy sector; and 3) to strengthen the framework for private finance and investment in Africa.
- 09 Jun 2017Members:Body:For the sixth time, the High-Level Committee on Food Security of the West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA) took stock of the region’s food and nutrition situation. West African leaders met following the meeting of the UEMOA ministers in charge of agriculture and livestock, on 9 June in Niamey, Niger, under the chairmanship of Niger President Issoufou Mahamadou.
- 09 May 2017Topics:Members:Body:The eight Commissioners of the West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA) were sworn in on 9 May 2017. In accordance with Article 28 of the UEMOA Treaty, the swearing-in ceremony took place at the UEMOA Court of Justice in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. The Commission is the Union’s executive body in charge of ensuring the proper functioning of the Union. It is composed of eight members, called Commissioners, who are nationals of UEMOA Member States. Three former Commissioners have been reappointed.
- 25 Apr 2017Members:Body:The Belgian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Development Cooperation Alexander De Croo travelled to Benin and Senegal with two Belgian celebrities working with the United Nations on issues related to the rights of women and children. Their working visit was part of the “She Decides” initiative - led by Belgium, Denmark, The Netherlands and Sweden - which focuses on improving the rights of young girls and women, especially on sexual and reproductive health.
- Body:Of the millions of children who do not complete elementary school in West Africa each year, one third suffer from a disability. Their condition means they are confronted with many barriers to education. As part of its inclusive education programme, Handicap International seeks to remove the many barriers to the education of 170 000 children with disabilities in nine West African countries.
- 08 Mar 2017Members:SWAC:Body:The Center for African Studies at the University of Florida hosted the 2017 Gwendolen M. Carter Conference in African Studies on 23-25 February. Organised by the Sahel Research Group, the conference brought together over 50 academics and policy makers from Africa, North America and Europe. The event provided an opportunity to discuss the pressing environmental, social, economic and political challenges that the region faces.