- Country:Body:The USAID West Africa team organised a workshop on 30 May-1 June in Accra, to brainstorm about future work priorities associated with their food security strategy. CILSS plays a key role in implementing US priorities in the food and nutrition security field in West Africa.
- 15 May 2018SWAC:Body:According to the World Press Freedom Index 2018, which ranks 180 countries worldwide, the level of media freedom was categorised as “fairly good” in three West African countries, namely Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde and Ghana. These countries achieved better or similar scores than many OECD member countries.
- 03 May 2018Body:“Keeping power in check: Media, justice and the rule of law” was the global theme of the 25th edition of World Press Freedom Day, which is celebrated every year on May 3. The international conference, co-organised by UNESCO, was hosted this year by the government of Ghana in Accra from 2-3 May in recognition of that country’s independent and pluralistic media landscape.
- 01 Feb 2018Body:This Human Rights Watch publication draws attention to the conditions of lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people (LGBT) in Ghana. It offers a series of recommendations to public authorities to adopt measures aimed at raising public awareness of the harm of homophobia that prevails in the country and the need to combat it.
- 29 Sep 2017SWAC:Body:The fourth high-level meeting on “Peaceful transhumance and livestock mobility in the Sahel and West African coastal countries” was held by ECOWAS from 27-29 September 2017 in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. Livestock ministers from across the region endorsed the funding modalities to establish the Regional Investment Programme for Livestock Development in Coastal Countries (PRIDEC), targeting the livestock sector of five coastal countries (Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria and Togo). PRIDEC is designed to complement the Regional Support Project for Pastoralism in the Sahel (PRAPS).
- 13 Jun 2017Body:
On 12-13 June, the government of Germany organised an international conference on the topic of “G20-Africa Partnership - Investing in a Common Future.” The high-level conference gathered about 800 participants in Berlin, Germany, including presidents from Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali and Senegal. The debate focused on the three pillars of the G20-Africa Partnership: 1) to improve inclusive economic growth and employment; 2) to develop quality infrastructure, especially in the energy sector; and 3) to strengthen the framework for private finance and investment in Africa.
- 22 Mar 2017Topics:Members:Body:During a courtesy visit to the new Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo, the Director General of the ECOWAS West African Health Organisation (WAHO), Dr. Xavier Crespin, called on Ghana’s head of state to make the country a leader in pharmaceutical production in West Africa. This appeal is part of WAHO’s ambition to double the amount of medications produced in the region, which is only about 25% today.
- 06 Mar 2017Body:Ghana is 60 years old. This birthday is an opportunity to review some of the country’s great achievements since it gained independence in 1957. Its first achievement is the country’s political stability. It has undergone several elections and changes of governments that were conducted without violence. In 2016, Ghana was ranked as the sixth most peaceful country in Africa and the 44th in the world.
- Topics:Opinion:Body:The three northern regions of Ghana are home to 60% of the poor people in the whole country. By 2030, southern Ghana might have successfully eradicated poverty, while 40% of its northern population will still remain poor. How can Ghana overcome these strong regional disparities?
- Body:An ambitious flagship project, the long-awaited construction of a trans-African gas pipeline connecting Nigeria via Morocco to Europe, might finally advance. The project was officially announced in December 2016 during a visit of King Mohammed VI to Nigeria. The 4 000 km pipeline will run along the Gulf of Guinea countries and will help create industrial hubs, and thereby will also boost regional economic integration beyond the energy sector.