- Members:RPCA:Body:West African decision makers will have a powerful new tool in devising new policies and evaluate existing initiatives for resilience building. CILSS has signed a memorandum of understanding with the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) for a technical Platform for the analysis and measurement of resilience of populations in the Sahel and West Africa (PTMR-SAO). The aim of the platform is to produce harmonised and consensual information and analysis of resilience at the national and regional levels.
- 04 May 2016Body:West African ministers came together to outline a course of action to accelerate progress on the Great Green Wall. The First Conference of the Great Green Wall for the Sahara and the Sahel Initiative was held from 2-7 May in Dakar, bringing together ministers from countries north and south of the Sahara as well as their development partners. Organised by the African Union, the high-level conference follows on the COP21 climate change conference, during which the international community pledged an additional USD 4 billion in support for the Great Green Wall over the next 5 years.
- 13 Mar 2016Body:On 11 and 12 March in Bamako, member states of the G5 Sahel (Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger) jointly organised with UNDP and Japan, and in partnership with the government of Mali, an international conference on border management and border communities in the Sahel.
- Body:An international team of scholars has launched an ambitious new research project on regional integration and international trade in Africa. Based at the Centre for African Studies at the University of Edinburgh, the African Governance and Space (AFRIGOS) programme examines the "respacing" of the continent through the political drive for integration and the reimagining of Africa's engagement with the global economy.
- Topics:Members:Body:UEMOA is working to improve the collection and use of economic statistics within its eight member states. Directors general of national statistics agencies took part in a workshop to launch the Regional Statistics Programme (PRS-UEMOA) 2015-20 from 1 to 4 March in Bamako. The PRS is the result of a co-operation agreement between the UEMOA Commission and the Economic and Statistical Observatory for Sub-Saharan Africa (AFRISTAT), signed in November 2015
- Body:The 10th Annual Ouagadougou Development Day (Journée ouagalaise du développement) aimed to localise and operationalise the issue that brought all world leaders around the table last December in Paris. The annual event, organised by the Delegation of the European Union to Burkina Faso, was held on 26 January under the theme "The COP21 climate change agreement: What prospects for Burkina Faso?".
- 29 Dec 2015Topics:Body:
Precisely one month after his election on 29 November, Roch Marc Christian Kaboré was formally sworn in as President of Burkina Faso. A large number of West African heads of state (Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Senegal and Togo) attended his inauguration at the Sports Palace at Ouagadougou 2000. In his statement, President Kaboré expressed his profound gratitude to the people of Burkina Faso who actively contributed to the successful transition toward democracy. "It is the victory of the Burkinabe and African youth who revolted against obscurantism and oppression.
- Topics:Members:Body:The Swiss Development Co-operation places a strong focus on regional integration dynamics and challenges. Working together with professional organisations and think-tanks, the West Africa Division covers five priority countries (Benin, Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger and Chad) and three thematic areas (basic education, vocational education and training; rural development and food security; and local governance and decentralisation). Switzerland is a founding member of the Sahel and West Africa Club.
- Topics:Members:Body:Austria has long-standing experience of working with West Africa. Covering the fifteen ECOWAS member countries, its Regional Strategy for West Africa focuses on three priority areas: 1) Renewable energy; 2) Resilience and local development models; and 3) Securing peace and conflict prevention. Burkina Faso is a priority country with a dedicated field office. Austria is a historic partner of the Sahel and West Africa Club’s work and has become a full member again since 2013.
- 01 Jan 2015Topics:Members:Body:Created in 1994, the West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA) is a customs union with a common external tarrif and a common currency (CFA franc) which is composed of eight, mainly francophone countries (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Niger, Senegal and Togo). They work together towards greater regional integration. The Union’s work is supported by a Commission (based in Ouagadougou), a Court of Justice and an Inter-parliamentary Committee.