- 13 Mar 2016Body:On 11 and 12 March in Bamako, member states of the G5 Sahel (Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger) jointly organised with UNDP and Japan, and in partnership with the government of Mali, an international conference on border management and border communities in the Sahel.
Seven West African countries rank among the top 20 countries in the world with the highest rate of child marriage [Niger (1), Chad (3), Mali (5), Guinea (6), Burkina Faso (8), Sierra Leone (13) and Nigeria (14)]. In Niger, three out of four girls marry before their 18th birthday, contributing to the highest fertility rate in the world of more than six children per woman. Nigeria and Niger are among the top 20 countries with the highest absolute number of child marriages, with 1.193 million and 244 000 married girls, respectively.
- Topics:Members:Body:UEMOA is working to improve the collection and use of economic statistics within its eight member states. Directors general of national statistics agencies took part in a workshop to launch the Regional Statistics Programme (PRS-UEMOA) 2015-20 from 1 to 4 March in Bamako. The PRS is the result of a co-operation agreement between the UEMOA Commission and the Economic and Statistical Observatory for Sub-Saharan Africa (AFRISTAT), signed in November 2015
- 22 Jan 2016Country:Topics:Body:The UN Regional Humanitarian Co-ordinator for the Sahel reported progress and remaining security and development challenges following a visit to Mali. Toby Lanzer met with government representatives, local authorities, civil society leaders and humanitarian workers during his 18-22 January mission. He travelled to Gao and Kidal, where he visited aid projects and met people affected by the crisis.
- Topics:Members:Body:The Swiss Development Co-operation places a strong focus on regional integration dynamics and challenges. Working together with professional organisations and think-tanks, the West Africa Division covers five priority countries (Benin, Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger and Chad) and three thematic areas (basic education, vocational education and training; rural development and food security; and local governance and decentralisation). Switzerland is a founding member of the Sahel and West Africa Club.
- 01 Jan 2015Topics:Members:Body:Created in 1994, the West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA) is a customs union with a common external tarrif and a common currency (CFA franc) which is composed of eight, mainly francophone countries (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Niger, Senegal and Togo). They work together towards greater regional integration. The Union’s work is supported by a Commission (based in Ouagadougou), a Court of Justice and an Inter-parliamentary Committee.