- Topics:Body:Amnesty International has released its Death Sentences and Executions report for 2015. The review of the situation in West Africa reveals notable differences in how countries in the region view the use of the death penalty both in law and in practice.
- 19 Mar 2016Opinion:Body:This Diploweb dossier dedicated to the regionalisation of the Islamic sect was prepared on the occasion of the 8th edition of the Grenoble Festival of Geopolitics: African Dynamics. According to the author, many analysts exaggerate the political influence of Boko Haram, which remains “relatively poor in resources”. Its military success can be mostly explained by the failure of the Nigerian government. The dossier provides an overview of facts and figures as well as a timeline of key events.
- 13 Mar 2016Body:On 11 and 12 March in Bamako, member states of the G5 Sahel (Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger) jointly organised with UNDP and Japan, and in partnership with the government of Mali, an international conference on border management and border communities in the Sahel.
Seven West African countries rank among the top 20 countries in the world with the highest rate of child marriage [Niger (1), Chad (3), Mali (5), Guinea (6), Burkina Faso (8), Sierra Leone (13) and Nigeria (14)]. In Niger, three out of four girls marry before their 18th birthday, contributing to the highest fertility rate in the world of more than six children per woman. Nigeria and Niger are among the top 20 countries with the highest absolute number of child marriages, with 1.193 million and 244 000 married girls, respectively.
- 31 Jan 2016Body:Chad and Sierra Leone are among the eight countries with food insecurity levels categorised as "alarming" in the 2015 Global Hunger Index (GHI) from the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). The scores of Niger (34.5) and Nigeria (32.8) are both very close to the “alarming level” of food insecurity which is particularly worrying for Africa’s most populous country. Most other West African countries registered scores showing food insecurity in the "serious" range.
- Topics:Members:Body:The Swiss Development Co-operation places a strong focus on regional integration dynamics and challenges. Working together with professional organisations and think-tanks, the West Africa Division covers five priority countries (Benin, Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger and Chad) and three thematic areas (basic education, vocational education and training; rural development and food security; and local governance and decentralisation). Switzerland is a founding member of the Sahel and West Africa Club.
- 01 Jan 2014Country:Body:The regional security environment is also a concern for Chad, which has a significant security apparatus but is now suffering a sharp drop in its financial resources due to the fall in oil prices. Chad remains one of the poorest countries in the world where chronic food insecurity is a widespread issue for much of the population.